If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Thursday, January 22, 2009

How to clean sea cucumber

When I was young, I dont like to eat sea cucumber, because the shape look very disgusting. But now is my favorite dish especially during CNY, my monther cook a very yummy Pork Knuckle with sea cucumber. Last Year I learned from her on how to prepare this dish, this year I learned from her on how to clean the sea cucumber (Last year my mum clean for me because I'm busy in work, this year no reason not to learn since I had retired from work.
From my mother several trial and error, she has came out with a simple way to clean the sea cucumber.
I would happy to share with you this simple steps rather you go through the hard way to learn it:-

Day 1:-

a. In the moning, wash the dried sea cucumber and soak in clean water till night.

















b. At night, bring to boil for several minutes, turn off the heat, cover the pot and allow to soak for overnight.

















Day 2:-

a. In the morning, the sea cucumber has turn soft.
















b. Start to clean it, use scissor to cut and wash inside well.






























c. Clean sea cucumbers (it took me 2 hours to clean it, not an easy job !!!)
















d. Cut few slides of ginger, add into sea cucumber and bring to boil again ( to get rid of the smell). Once done, you can start to use this clean sea cucumber to cook or you may want to pack into container and keep in the frozen area in the fridge for future use.



















p/s If you noticed some of the sea cucumber hard to clean, bring to boil and soak it again. And these steps are applicable to small size of sea cucumbers, it may not work well for those big size of sea cucumber.



8 comments:

twister said...

預祝您新年快樂, 心想事成! happy 牛 year!!!!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Twister, Wishing you and your family a blessed Lunar New Year.

Hong 阿豐 said...

I would like to recommend you to use the pineapple skin to made the sea cucumber even soften without using any chemical material. ^^

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Thanks dolphing.
Thought my mother also not adding any chemical and the texture also soft and easy to clean.

Anonymous said...

hi , thanks for the much needed tips to clean my sea cucumber. it is my first time. and i need the recipe to cook with it. pls help. happy new year!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Hi Anonymous,
Sorry for my late reply, just have time to read blogs. I will publish the recipe later as I need time to write it as usually I dont record it.

Jobless Girl said...

I like sea cucumber. High collagen and zero colestrol.

dried fish maw said...

Dried Fish Maw, Dried Shark Fins, Dried Sea Cucumber, Dried Shrimp, Dried Sea Limpets, Dried Abalone and Cow Gallstones.

http://www.driedfishmaw.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin