If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Waxed Duck with White Radish (Daikon) Soup 咸腊鸭白萝卜汤~~欢喜过马年

During CNY, you can see a lot of waxed ducks selling at the market. I bought two pieces the other day. The seller thought me this new way of using waxed duck to cook into soup.



 
One waxed duck used to cook this soup

 
Another one I used to cook this simple dish, Waxed duck, Chinese sausages and Hong Kong Kailan (Chinese Kale). Simply steam the waxed duck (blanch in hot water first) and Chinese sausages, then serve with Hong Kong Kailan (blanched in hot water first), sprinkle some light soy sauce then enjoy!! 


This soup was very rich in taste..



Waxed Duck with White Radish (Daikon) Soup 咸腊鸭白萝卜汤

1 salted waxed duck (drumstick part), halved
1 large white radish /daikon (~500g), sliced
600g pork ribs
2 sprig spring onions, sliced
2lt water

Method

  1. Blanch the ribs in a pot of boiling water as to remove the scum. Set aside
  2. Blanch waxed duck in hot boiling water for 3mins as to remove the excess oil. Set aside.
  3. Bring water to boil, add in all ingredients. Once water boiled, reduce heat to low and simmer for an hour or more.
  4. Taste the soup, add salt if needed, serve hot.
Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

22 comments:

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

刚喝了May的四宝海鲜汤,
天气热,见汤就得快快喝,何况是年味超重的咸腊鸭白萝卜汤!哈。。。。。。

Mel said...

I o ly know one way to cook waxed duck meat that is just steam it. I remember my mum cook it in porridge and that taste very good too. I never thought it can make soup too.

Anonymous said...

O Sonia this is the dish I have to try. With extended Asian community here*in fact this weekend we are celebrating Chinese New Year with fantastic Festival and lots of food stalls njami)it should be possible to get waxed duck. I love the dishes with fragrant tasty broth. Enjoyed every bit of your blog and the pics are amazing.Greetings

Small Kucing said...

Thanks for the soup. I am sure it taste great

Elin Chia said...

Sonia...the only way I know is steam them. Thanks for sharing this soup recipe using waxed duck. Now I know what to do with the rest of the waxed duck :)

0620 said...

Really a new way to me XD
Looks nice!!

Anonymous said...

halo sonia,,
i had some waxed belly meat,i do not how to cooked it,,hope u can share by all means instead of using wzxed duck i used for the soup,--thanks for your shring,,
megan ---sg

Victoria Bakes said...

i recently saw "may-姐" make something like that on TVB (hong Kong channel)... i think your professionalism on this can beat her anytime!

Jessie-CookingMoments said...

Hi Sonia, I'm so out as I don't think that I have waxed duck b4. may-姐 mentioned by Victoria Bakes is the same lady whom I told you last year.

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

我爱喝汤,这汤我真想尝上一口呢:)

My Little Space said...

Hi there, I'm sending an early wishes over today. Happy Valentine's Day & also Happy Chap goh may to you & your loved ones. Hope you're going to have a fabulous day. Enjoy!
Btw, I also wanted to try this recipe too which I found at one of the local newspaper on last weekend. Sounds really delicious. But the chef using double boiler method where I prefer to use rice cooker to boil my soup these days. Hassle free.
Best wishes, Kristy

Esther Lau said...

This soup must be tasty! White radish my all time favourite :)

Unknown said...

sonia

gong xi fa cai and happy chap goh mei to you and family

Gloria Fernandes said...

though i have never tasted duck..this looks nice n tasty

Little Corner of Mine said...

Look like another way to enjoy wax duck. Too bad, I don't see wax duck selling here. Happy last day of CNY to you!

Awayofmind Bakery House said...

This soup must be very flavourful! I will want to have a big bowl of it :)and the chinese sausage! I missed it so much, we can't get this in Doha.

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Makes me drooling...

Little blue said...

I am back...can i have a bowl of soup to warm up my stomach??!!

Baby Sumo said...

I dont really know how to appreciate waxed duck, but my brother likes it a lot. Maybe I can try cooking this for him next time as he likes ribs and radish soup too :)

Happy Valentine's Day + Chap Goh Meh to you :)

Joanne T Ferguson said...

G'day and thank you for allowing me to learn something new re wax duck today Sonia, true!
Your soup looks yummy and delicious too!
Cheers! Joanne

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia , that soup looks really good ! It would be nice to slurp that right now , it's freakin' cold right now :P :D

Choi Yen said...

I still have some waxed duck & sausages in fridge, thanks for sharing the recipes!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin