If you have any question, please drop me an email (sonia9423@gmail.com) or Instagram @ sonianll

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Economic Fried Bee Hoon (Fried Rice Vermicelli) 经济炒米粉


Economic fried bee hoon (simple stir fried rice vermicelli) is a typical breakfast for Malaysian Chinese and I guess Singaporean also eating this way. The most economic version is just simple fried mee hoon, and pour with some curry sauce and sambal chili. If you want more luxury version, you can ask to add fried luncheon meat, fish balls, sausages and fried egg with extra money. Like my version here is consider luxury version of Economic fried bee hoon ^_^.




 
If you want to have fried sunny side up egg with no burnt edges, then you have to deep fry over low heat.

 
A typical way of how hawker way of preparing luncheon meat, coat with egg and deep fry


 
You can add cabbage into fried bee hoon, but I prefer to have a choice of add more veggie like outside hawker way, so I stir fry some cabbage separately..

 
Now come to main part, is this simple stir fried bee hoon (rice vermicelli)


 
If you take this in the morning, you can enjoy with a cup of coffee. If you serve it during lunch, then you can enjoy with a bowl of sweet dessert soup (Tong Sui), like mung bean or red bean soup.

 
How often you cook this noodles at home?


Economic Fried Bee Hoon (Fried Rice Vermicelli) 经济炒米粉
 * serve 5  

To cook Fried Bee Hoon

300g Bee Hoon/Rice Vermicelli, soaked in tap water and drained
150g bean sprouts, washed and drained
4 shallots, peeled and sliced
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 cups water (you may adjust according to your type/brand of Rice Vermicelli) 

 Seasonings
 1tbsp light soy sauce
 1tbsp dark caramel soy sauce or adjust accordingly
 1tsp sugar
 1 and 1/4tsp salt or to taste 

Method:-

 1. Heat a wok with cooking oil (4tbsp), sauté chopped garlic and shallots till golden brown.
 2. Add in water and add in light soy sauce, sugar, and salt, bring to boil.
 3..Toss in the rice vermicelli, and add in dark caramel soy sauce, quickly stir fry and toss well. Cover with wok lid, cook for 1-2mins.
 5. Add in bean sprouts, stir fry and toss it well. If the noodles are dry, you can add in hot water. Dish out and serve. 

To cook simple stir fry cabbage

200g cabbage (I use Cameron cabbage), tear into small pieces
30g carrot, sliced thinly

2 garlic, chopped
1tsp light soy sauce
Salt to taste 

Method

  1. Heat oil in a wok, sauté garlic and carrot for a minute.
  2. Add cabbage, stir fry well, add in seasoning, cook till cabbage soften. (You can add little water).
  3. Dish out and serve.
To  deep fry luncheon meat 

1 can of luncheon meat, sliced
1 egg, lightly beaten
 
Method

  1. Coat luncheon meat slice with egg, fry in hot oil over medium heat till golden brown.
Few fried sunny side up eggs , deep fry in cooking oil over low heat

To serve- Serve fried bee hoon in a serving plate, garnish with fried sunny side up egg, fried luncheon meat and stir fried cabbage, enjoy with sweet dessert soup (eg mung bean or red bean soup), or with a cup of coffee. 

Recipe by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

34 comments:

Veronica said...

Wow Sonia, your not so economical fried mihoon looks so delicious. I especially love your fried luncheon meat. I am hungry now and salivating over your mihoon. Can I come over for afternoon tea if you still have some leftover ;P

Mel said...

I really love having economic fried beenhoon for breakfast....with a scoop of sambal chilli with it.

Kimmy said...

Hi Sonia, I eat this at least twice a month when on vegetarian diet. Would love to eat this noodle more often with so much accompaniments, hehehe!.

PH said...

Economic fried beehoon is actually very tasty. I love it! Thanks for the recipe :)

ICook4Fun said...

I used to eat this char bee hoon on weekends with sweet sauce and chili sauce. Cost only $0.50 a packet.

Mei Tan said...

Wow! I have been lurking until I saw this economic bee hoon ☺.
I am a bee hoon person so I will try this out soon.
Thanks for a great post.

向日葵葵 ~ Sunflower Grace said...

Economic fried bee hoon is all times favorite as breakfast choice. But yours definitely is a 料多多的炒米粉。 :D

Sally said...

哇!真的超像外面卖的经济米粉呢。。
我们也常买来当早餐配kopi呢,还有一样我们喜欢
加炸鸡翅。。呵呵

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Sonia, you can go set up a stall liao, hehe...

mayck-law. Blogspot.com said...

简单的炒米粉而却是最好吃的!

Victoria Bakes said...

Isn't life just that simple? A simple plate of fried bee hoon and a cup of kopi-o... Yet the simplest things are the most difficult to achieve because human complicate things.. Just like me who burn pots and pans... So I am coming to ur place with a tiffin. Tao gey tzueh tzueh!

Jozelyn Ng said...

This is my all time favourite! Your version is definitely the luxury version!

Imo Teo said...

经济炒米粉我也很爱,每天早上吃都不会怕

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

这个好有感觉;是读书时代的美好回忆;谢谢!

Li Shuan said...

我也爱经济米粉但是我xiaoxiao的,有时炒到好有时炒到烂掉呵呵。。你的太好卖相了!

Wordsmith said...

Woohoo... I love beehoon especially this simple style nyumnyum... Tq for sharing :)

A Taste of Memories-- Echo's Kitchen said...

my super favorite!

Artsylicious said...

Sonia, wow, I really like your post, it is very 'down to earth'. thanks for reminding me this M'sian food.

chow and chatter said...

looks fab wish it was my breakfast

jessicashine said...


This is adorable,, Love this blog,, Thanks alot.. :)

Beulahdorothy said...

This is too good.. !!!! woah .. !!! wow.. Love it...

Baking Taitai said...

I would love to have a plate of this economical bee hoon anytime, thanks for sharing the recipe, will try it!

Swee San said...

nowadays economic noodles also not economical... but it looks good! with luncheon meat :)

Karen said...

这样的经济米粉最好吃,好回味哦。 ^^

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Occasionally I would buy these economic fried bee hoon from food stall for weekend breakfast .. oh plus fried chicken wings too ^-^

Copycake kitchen said...

Oh..Got fried luncheon meat mee hoon so sedap !!!! :) wa lau nua lor...haha ..

Choi Yen said...

The fried meehoon seem quite easy to prepare but I think it's hard to make it tasted delicious with the perfect texture, right?
#temptingtotry

lena said...

i also made your sweet sambal tumis 2 weeks ago..and to go with fried meehoon, i think it's gonna be delicious!

Wordsmith said...

Dear Sonia, an update - I made the beehoon today to go with chicken curry and homemade pickled green chillies (cili jeruk). The bee hoon turned out great... Thanks for sharing !

Ana Regalado said...

Sonia, I saw the luncheon meat and thought , darn , I haven't had some in months ?! :P The fried meehon looks soooo delicious !

Unknown said...

Omg Sonia, thanks for sharing this recipe. I miss my Char Bee Hoon. Especially living in Australia I cannot go to the hawker centre to have a plate of char beehoon like i used to in Singapore. I am gonna try this today :)

Anonymous said...

We make this noodle at home all the time because my family loves it. It's simple and fast to dish up. But I prefer choy sum to cabbage. We also do not include all the side accompaniments like fried egg or luncheon meat. We like it just plain. Also I use the packet deep fried shallots instead of fresh. Much more convenient.

worldwidemenucovers said...


Nice Blog.
Realy in this blog infromation is perfect.
Thank you for your generosity in sharing so much of your knowledge.
Custom menu covers

Must see Auto Repair Kent said...

Soooo yuuum!!! I want this for breakfast. Where can I buy the noodles? Or do you have the recipe for them?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin